Adding a “cube-style” light to your outdoor setup will make a big difference!
First and foremost adding light to a shoot opens up an endless array of opportunities to get creative. Light of any kind needs to have the characteristics suited for photography and video, and COB LEDs are the only way to go. There are two main kinds of LED for small light sources, COB and SMD.
Are COB LED Lights better?
- They consume fewer watts/lumen making them more efficient.
- Are single stable color only (no color shifting as they dim).
- They provide a broader, softer defused light with a larger more even “patch.”
I found this Cube LED to be extremely helpful in low light situations where a little “kicker” was needed and in some cases where a lot of light was required to compensate for the amount of natural backlighting. I use it when vlogging on my shop, it balances the lighting when vlogging in my truck, on photos & video shoots for clients and even in very hard to light situations like behind glass.
I prefer constant light over flash because it helps me see upfront all the shadows and the actual intensity of the light on my subject. If I need to power down or up, add a diffuser – it can all be done the first time saving me a lot of time setting up.
I want to mention that this is a waterproof light and while I don’t have a lot of need for waterproof lighting, I do like the fact that it’s available and gets me thinking more creatively. I have used it underwater for some awesome shots. I love how small it is which make hiding it much more manageable. In the video, you’ll see some creative ideas where it’s size can be very helpful.
The specs showed that it will last 100% at full power, but I typically have used it at 25% and am able to get nearly three (3) hours of continuous runtime.
Let’s talk about the specs:
- It’s a Multi-function LED light designed for photography and, video. It can be used in a verity of different situations as well, like cycling, kayaking, hiking, camping, backpacking, etc.
- It’s an excellent size at 50x45x45mm, and even though it’s made of aluminum (not plastic), it only weighs 80g.
- It is waterproof to 65ft (20m) out of the box and does not need special housing.
- It is rechargeable and will last about 1 hour under 100% power output and 3 hours at 25% power of continuous output.
- A wide beam angle of 120°, makes for great coverage and the adjustable brightness settings of 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100% give you a lot of options for intensity and the strobe ads in some creative effects for your videos.
- There are multiple 1/4″ screw holes for a verity of different mounting options.
- Two diffusers, a white and a warming diffuser for those cloudy days.
Dazzne Cube LED49
What I liked
- Very durable
- 5 intensity settings
- Multiple mounting options
- Two diffusers
- Battery life
- COB vs. SMD
What I did not like
- A little heavy